I am the Director of the Communication Leadership Master’s program at University of Washington. I am also an Associate Teaching Professor at the Department of Communication at University of Washington. I received the University of Washington’s Distinguished Teaching Award in 2018.
I teach classes s in the fields of Media Studies and Communication for a decade.
I taught classes at New York University’s Media, Culture, Communication Department (2009-2013) and Baruch College’s Communication Studies Department (2011-2013). Since Autumn 2014, I have been at University of Washington’s Communication Department. I also served as the Undergraduate Program Coordinator of the department from Fall 2015 – Spring 2017.
I am passionate about teaching and learning practices. I am committed to developing innovative ways of transforming the classroom into a an exciting space of inquiry and connection. My goal is to infect the participants with the passion I have for the subject-matter whilst thinking about novel ways for students to create class-assignments that have impact beyond the classroom. I respect student’s input in the classroom and I believe that education is a shared process between the educator and the student.
I organize workshops for higher education professionals and those who are interested in teaching a particular topic to a crowd.
- The June 2018 edition of Columns (UW’s Alumni magazine) features an article about my teaching and distinguished teaching award.
- I participated in the 2018 Teaching and Learning Symposium at University of Washington with this poster about my most recent work on team dynamics in graduate level classes: Ekin Yasin s0tl 2018 – Sentiments about Team Projects FINAL
- You can find an article for the teaching work (from September 2017) that I have been doing at the Communication Leadership Master’s program at University of Washington.
- I gave a keynote at the Praxis Conference at University of Washington (January 20 2016). The title of my talk was “Actively Global and Globally Active: The Classroom as a window we actively open to the world”
- Here is a poster I just presented at Univesity of Washington’s Annual Teaching and Learning symposium – Spring 2015
- Here is a handout about role of technology in the class that I presented at the University of Washington Teaching and Learning Symposium at the UW. Thank you For Texting Part II
- I facilitated dialogues between faculty and students about their in-class learning expectations and needs. I have conducted two of these session for Baruch University’s Communication Studies Department during Fall of 2013 and Spring of 2014. I participated with a poster on the same subject matter at the University of Washington’s Annual Teaching and Learning symposium during Spring 2014. You can find flow-board presentation of one of the sessions here.
Here is a poster about how to create a more global classroom environment that I presented in this year’s Symposium on Teaching and Learning (April 19 2017).